Photo Credit: © 2006 Lynne Holder

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Stone By Stone

I have a great little book titled God Calling; a collection of the writing of 2 women, arranged in passages by day, covering an entire year. The passage I read today was another reminder that I have not mastered patience, and its very close companion, trust.

Heaven's Colors 



Looking back you will see that every step was planned. Leave all to Me. Each stone in the mosaic fits into the perfect pattern, designed by the Master Artist. It is all so wonderful! But the colors are of Heaven's hues, so that your eyes could not bear to gaze on the whole, until you are beyond the veil. So, stone by stone, you see, and trust the pattern to the Designer. 

Trust, to my mind, means letting go. It's so hard to let go. Why? Because we're taught that hard work and perseverance result in success. Chase your dream and never give up. Right?

Letting go feels like giving up. Letting go feels like the sure demise of one's dreams.

Maybe, just maybe, letting go is falling into a big, fluffy pile of warm blankets.

Maybe letting go is trusting that the pattern of our lives is already designed and laid out--and it is a beautiful mosaic.

Maybe letting go is the way to all we can ask or imagine.

Maybe there's something greater--something more. 

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. --Ephesians 3:16-19 

Maybe grasping hold of God's love is our greatest success.

But seek first his kingdom...and all these things will be given to you as well. --Matthew 6:33

I'm not going to lie--it's still not easy to trust that and let go, but it is my goal.

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to this Lynne. That has and continues to be my challenge. Trust...having faith in the unknown, believing that all is being taken care of for us. I want so badly to be comfortable in Matthew 6:33 and I don't even know where to begin...As my friend Erin would say..."just pray to God and ask him to help you find where to begin and then help you stay in the peace of knowing all is okay." Oh if it were that easy... :) Great writing, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! It's good to know we have company on this challenge! :) There's a beginning for everything. The seed has to be planted, the roots grow, and it becomes established before you see a full grown plant and fruit growing on it.

    I think we have to be kind to ourselves in our process of growing and understanding. I tend to be very impatient and beat myself up, which is so pointless. I'm reconciling to the fact the learning doesn't end until I'm on the other side of the veil.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete