Photo Credit: © 2006 Lynne Holder

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Choices

This is one of those days I'm upside down. I'm in the place I call "funk", where, regardless of the reality, everything feels wrong.

I don't like the way I look.
My gray hair is streaked with yellow, and it just lies there, flat and lifeless.
My house needs cleaning, and I don't want to clean, but the uncleanliness causes uneasiness.
My dreams feel so far out of sight it seems pointless to try seeing them.
My husband annoys me for no particular reason. He tells me he loves me, and my mind says, No, you don't...nothing here to love.
Everywhere I turn, I see something I don't like, and wish to change it--immediately.
Love seems so distant--God seems so distant.
I've had just about enough of this game. I hate games and I think I'll go home now.

Not pretty, but there it is.

I'm experienced at these random "funks". It does no good to fight it or deny it exists; however, there is something else I can choose.

Gratitude.

This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice (even if I feel funky) and be (sort of) glad in it. Maybe later I'll feel really glad in it, but let's rejoice anyway. Yay today!

Wow, do I have four great kids! Thank you, Lord, that you chose me to be their mother!

Wow, do I have one amazing granddaughter! Thank you, Lord, for bringing this sweet soul to our family. And what a good job her parents are doing raising her!

What a dream come true is my husband's love for me. If I thanked God a hundred times a day, it would hardly be enough. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for bringing us together.

Thank you, Lord, for turning the ashes of my life into beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment