Photo Credit: © 2006 Lynne Holder

Friday, June 10, 2011

Bucket List Check-off

In early 2006, my good friend, and then Life Coach, Pam Thomas, gave me an assignment as part of our coaching: Write.

It began as a simple daily list of all the things I am grateful for. Then I wrote a list of all the things I wanted to do/accomplish if money were no object and there were no limitations--my bucket list, as it has come to be known. I wrote letters to people I needed to forgive, taking the love and the lessons learned, burned the letters and put the past behind me.

I began writing stories, one of which I sent to Pam for her to read. To my surprise, she liked it, and what was even more surprising, told me that I was a good writer. She encouraged me to write more. I thought, much as a kid whose parent gives encouragement, "She's my coach, she has to say that." But she got me thinking that maybe I could actually be a writer.

I added, "Write a book and become a published author" to my list.

Since then I have written a children's book about a horse-crazy little girl and how her dreams of horse riding and ownership are realized; now in the editing process after the first pass by my editor.

I began, not knowing what I was doing, having no formal education in writing; simply followed a dream. It's a pattern of mine at this point in my life: dream, pray, act, flick the little naysayer off my shoulder, repeat.

I am a writer. I have had a guest blog submission accepted by Geoff Talbot, film maker and actor, and the creator of Seven Sentences. Tomorrow, June 11th, at 7:57 am Pacific Time, my guest blog will be posted. I invite everyone to visit and comment.

My heart is quiet and full of gratitude. Dreams realized--I love this.

2 comments:

  1. So good Lynne... We very much look forward to having your excellent blog posted on Seven Sentences... http://sevensentences.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Geoff! Such a privilege and I am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete